Saturday, September 5, 2009

Post #2

I have frequently used Microsoft Word as a student. For most of the classes I've taken, both in high school and college, I've been required to turn in some form of written assignment. For a vast majority of these assignments, I have used Microsoft Word. I have also had assignments in certain classes that required me to create hand-outs for the rest of my classmates; these hand-outs often had pictures and unique fonts or text colors, and I created all of them on Word. In addition, I've often stored notes for my classes in files that I've created through Word. My teachers have used Word as well; for example, they've made tests or other assignments on Word and then given them to the class. I've also taken a computer class in which the teacher used Word extensively to help the studets familiarize themselves with the basics of computers.

I really liked the example from Mr. Harrison's class in which the students created newspapers on Microsoft Word that told about daily life in medieval Europe. This was a fantastic assignment for numerous reasons. First of all, rather than dull worksheets or essay assignments, the newspaper allowed students to be creative. They were able to pick the topics, fonts, and headings that they wanted; they were also able to write a paper of a genre other than a standard five-paragraph essay. This change in routine certainly made the students eager to start the project. In addition, because newspapers reflect people's daily lives, the students were able to connect with the topic and feel as if they were a part of what they were writing about.

I enjoyed learning about Paint. I have used this program throughout my life simply as a fun activity, but I never saw it as a teaching tool. With the new skills that I have gained in this class, I am certain that I would be able to use Paint when I have my own class. For example, I could use it to make a short movie regarding something I will be teaching. This will be a unique approach that will be sure to grab my students' attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment